November 8, 2012

Simply Adapting Questionnaire: Part Two

Today, I decided to update some items in my blog, such as the "My Story" page. It was really fun to look back after 5 months of living in Iowa to come up with new answers to my previous questionnaire. I loved reading back to my South Dakota Questionnaire as well.

Move # TWO

April 26, 2012
 
{ What are some things I felt that I had to adapt to in Iowa }


After living in South Dakota for two years I got use to the wide open spaces unlike back east. The difference this time with our move is that we live in the middle of nowhere, where as, back in SD we lived right out of town. We live on a little 14 acre spread with a house, 3 barns, and 2 tractors... and counting. FUN! We are the only house on a mile stretch of dirt road and our closest neighbor is a 3rd of a mile away down the next road... or across the section. I have learned to plan ahead with shopping. Our grocery store is in the next town which is a 15/20min drive. Now that I work in Ames, it's easier to grab items on the way home.

We love our "neighborhood" or surrounding neighbors. We actually know them this time around! YAY! In Mitchell, we didn't know anyone who lived near us and it didn't seem that they cared to know us either. Now we see neighbors at the store, at events, and auctions. It's so nice to walk over and greet with a "howdy neighbor". It makes living somewhere feel like you belong.

{ What advice can I give to readers in simply adapting to your new home? }

#1: I'm still a believer that, it can always be worse! You have your health and people back home to support you whether its on a phone call once a week, skyping, or facebooking. Communication has grown so much that keeping in touch isn't like mailing a letter once a month.


#2: Meet People: I try and make a point to visit with neighbors when I see them. It really does make it nice to know the people around you.


#3: Find a hobby & try new things! This time around I joined a quilting class and plan to join the ISU gym and take classes.


#4: Explore! We LOVE LOVE LOVE farm auctions. They are a great place to see people you know or in our case most the time... people WATCH. Sometimes you have score a great buy as well.

#5: Do what makes you happy not what is always convenient. If I decided to stay in my old job and work from home I would be miserable. It make be less convenient to commute 30 minutes but I am a happier person for it!

{ What are some fun tips and tricks I have learned from living in Ogden, IA }

I have learned about "Walking Tacos", the difference between saying "Iowa" and "Iowa State" as in the Universities, that its much more fun to watch College sports then professional, that political adds begin before the Iowa Caucus and don't end until November, girls here in Iowa wear "badazzled" jeans just like in South Dakota... I don't get it. 

{ Local Recipe }

I got so much crap for not knowing that these were....

Walking Tacos

    


 

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef or turkey

1/2 cup diced onion

1 (1 ounce) taco seasoning packet (or this homemade taco seasoning)

6-8 snack sized bags of Fritos or Doritos


Suggested Toppings:

black beans

lettuce

tomato

shredded cheese

sour cream

ranch/salsa mixture (1:1 ratio prepared ranch dressing and your favorite salsa)


Instructions:

Brown beef or turkey and drain the fat. Add the onion to the meat and saute a couple of minutes until soft. Add the taco seasoning along with 1/2 cup of water and simmer until water is absorbed. If serving immediate pour in a bowl. You can also combine the meat and black beans if you want and keep them warm in a slow cooker.


Crush your chips with your hands and open your bag. Add whatever toppings you desire and eat with a fork as you walk around! I always drizzle it with my ranch/salsa mixture.

 

Brown beef or turkey and drain the fat. Add the onion to the meat and saute a couple of minutes until soft. Add the taco seasoning along with 1/2 cup of water and simmer until water is absorbed. If serving immediate pour in a bowl. You can also combine the meat and black beans if you want and keep them warm in a slow cooker.

 
Crush your chips with your hands and open your bag. Add whatever toppings you desire and eat with a fork as you walk around! I always drizzle it with my ranch/salsa mixture.


{ Iowa Dialect }


Madrid = Maaa-drid

Adel = A-Dell

Nevada = Nah-VADE-A

Move # 1

August 10, 2010


{ What are some things I felt that I had to adapt to in South Dakota }



I really had to adjust to how open it is out here compared to Delaware. There are more cows then there are people here in South Dakota so the towns are far and few between. I felt at first like I would never meet anyone since I was the outsider but then I got a job subbing in the Mitchell School District and it lead me to talking to people! I had missed that so much, I am what they call a social butterfly so I was itching for some contact. Another adaption I had to make was to the weather. Delawareans are weenies when it comes to weather, it gets to 30 degrees and an inch of snow on the ground and we freak, I was one of them. My first winter was last year and it hit -20 one night! Some of the highs for the day were in the single digits, and snow... oh that snow! Lets just say there was a lot! Once I got through my first winter I've been fine, the locals like to say that you kind of forget about how it was the year prior (Probably because they are bad memories) but really you do just forget about it and deal with it as you go. People here are polite, traffic is almost non existent, and the lifestyle is more relaxing.



{ What advice can I give to readers in simply adapting to your new home? }



#1: It can always be worse! You have your health and people back home to support you whether its on a phone call once a week, skyping, or facebooking. Communication has grown so much that keeping in touch isn't like mailing a letter once a month.



#2: Talk to people: Whether you just started a new job or are in the check out line in the local town grocer. People love hearing how I am from Delaware and asking how I am doing here. You never know, it could lead to a new friendship or just someone who had a nice conversation with you that made your day.



#3: If you are alone a lot get a pet. Winston is my savor. I think sometimes people think I am overly attached to my dog but really he is the one that helped me get through my first few months here in South Dakota. My husband travels frequently for work so Winston is my lil man that I can take on walks or snuggle with at night.



#4: Find a hobby & try new things! Since living here I have read more then I have in 3 years back home, I can knit better then ever and I'm still learning, and my cooking skills are growing.



#5: Explore! My husband and I love to drive around and find neat things at the towns in the area. We have visited Mt. Rushmore 3 times now, have been to the Bad Lands National Park twice, and have been snowmobiling for our first time ever! I couldn't do these things back in Delaware and I'm glad I did them now seeing how we are moving to Iowa in a few months.



{ What are some fun tips and tricks I have learned from living in Mitchell, SD }



I have learned to plow a driveway with a four-wheeler... I have grown in my faith more being here ... I learned that there is a distinct difference between East River and West River... I learned what a "Jersey Chaser" is .... along with a "Pick" :)



{ Local Recipe }



Deep Fried Pheasant



What you need: Pheasant breast, eggs, canola oil, 2 cups flour, 2 tbl spoons seasonal, 1/2 packet ranch dressing mix, salt and pepper to taste



Directions: Cut Pheasant breast into smaller nuggets, dip in beat-ed eggs, then into mixture of flour, seasonal, and ranch dressing mix (do this twice for think crust)



Place nuggets into hot oil on frying pan. If not fully submerged flip after 1 minute

Watch not to over cook nuggets; pheasant dries out quickly.



Serve with: Green Olive Tomato Beer ;)



{ South Dakota Dialect }



Ruff = Roof

Rut- Root

You Bet! = No problem or Your Welcome


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you... Please comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...