December 18, 2012

Bah Humbug…

Well, if you read my last post you already knew that I was not quite in the Christmas spirit. I held out hope that I would pick up speed as my travel plans got more realistic…in this case it’s gotten worse. “Draco” the 2012 Dec Blizzard is set to hit central Iowa this Thursday when my husband and I are supposed to be traveling back to see family and friends.

Winter Storm Watch:

Issued at: 3:43 am CST on December 18, 2012, expires at: 6:00 PM CST on December 20, 2012

...Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Wednesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon...
timing...precipitation will overspread central Iowa Wednesday afternoon. Snow is expected along and north of an Atlantic through Boone to Waterloo line. Rain is expected in southern Iowa south of a Bedford to Oskaloosa line. In between...a rain and snow mix is expected. This precipitation will change to all snow late Wednesday evening before ending Thursday morning.
Storm total snow accumulation...5 to 8 inches of snow is expected in the watch area. Local amounts of up to 10 inches will be very possible with drifts even higher.
Winds/visibility...winds will become very strong Wednesday night from the north northwest. Sustained winds of 25 to 33 mph are expected with gusts over 45 mph possible. The strongest winds are expected a few hours prior to daybreak through noon Thursday. Blizzard or near blizzard conditions may occur with visibilities reduced below one quarter of a mile from time to time.
Impacts...very dangerous conditions are expected to develop on Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Be prepared for very difficult travel and blizzard or near blizzard conditions. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant snow...sleet...or ice accumulations that may impact travel...in this case snow. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts. If forecast confidence regarding the strong winds continues to increase...this watch may be upgraded to a blizzard watch today.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/weather/alerts#ixzz2FQ0QqpiC

Seriously, can’t I catch a break? I try extra hard to stay positive year round about living so far away and all I ask for is one week to see everyone and have a moment of feeling the sense of “Home”.

I do like Iowa… A LOT. But I relish the time that I can just … Be … People don’t realize that when you live away from everything you grew up knowing that you spend day after day trying to fit in. Trying to remember short cuts in town, which restaurants are actually GOOD to eat at, which bar has the best happy hour special, which high school football/basketball teams are playing who, where to go for a nice run… ah my list could go on.

When I hit Delaware it’s like my heart grow 4 times larger and I just take in the sight of “knowing” ….  neighborhoods I grew up having sleepover at,  where I had my first kiss, my first date, my first soccer game, times spent doing goofy things with old friends.

People take advantage of the feeling of “knowing” … so bah humbug to you all that say “Delaware sucks… Delaware is boring..” I love Delaware and it will always have a place in my heart along with the people that are still there.

So… once again I am forced to “Stay Positive”. I will take what I can get I guess and look forward to having some time off with my husband and our little furry child. Fingers crossed that we are able to make it back at some point during this week to visit with family and friends.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals…. (Sorry, had to throw it in there for “Home Alone’s sake)

and Bah Humbug too…

1 comment:

  1. What a bummer! You know the weather is constantly changing so you never know! Hoping you get to make it back!

    Loved the Home Alone quote :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you... Please comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...