August 17, 2012

Quilting… not just for traditionalist with bad taste

Ever since I started my beginners quilting class I have become obsessed with the quilting community. I’m sure that there are many of you, like myself, that view quilting as a hobby that our grandmothers participate in. When I use to think of quilting I pictured something like this:

Yes, it’s pretty but its soooo traditional. Where would a 26 year old have something like this in her house? The answer is most of us wouldn’t. Every week I learn more about the art of quilting and holy cow do I respect the ladies that put together a piece like shown above. When it comes down to it, it’s just not my style. I don’t want to put all of that work into having a quilt that I wouldn’t want to put on my own bed or hang on my wall, so what do I do now?

Well after looking into quilting much further I am actually super surprised that I am not the only one that feels this way. There are actual “modern” quilters out there and make pieces that look more like modern art then a bed spread gone bad.

The movement is called :Modern Minimal. Let me say though, it takes a lot of hard work and vision ( along with great math skills which I will need to correct ) in making a design like this. The hardest part is making in actually look simple.

I’m in love, aren’t you?  I can’t wait to finish my class so that I can make a quilt to fit more of my style. I am learning the basics right now but once I get the fundamentals down I will be ecstatic to try something with a little more ME in it!

I’m hooked.. or in the case I’m “sewl’ed :)

1 comment:

  1. I too have found a new found passion in quilting. My grandmother is a long time hand quilter who made quilts for everybody in our family. I love my quilt but not my style. I made my first quilt last summer starting with a T-shirt quilt of all my college soccer shirts and made a simple block pattern. It is not perfect but was a great learning experience for me and I have recently started two more quilts. I am making another t-shirt quilt (with more attention to detail) and also making a fun modern quilt to have on the couch for the winter. Glad to know there is another 20s year old out there enjoying quilting as much as I do. Would love to see updates as you go on your quilt and any helpful hints from class. My work schedule doesn't let me take a quilting class right now :-( but hope to take one in the future as trial in error is a long learning process.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you... Please comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...