January 15, 2015

Are You Active?

Have you ever wondered why 10,000 steps a day is encourage in the health community? Why 10,000?

This is a number I’ve been working towards the past week and as I sit here I caught myself asking where the 10,000 even came from.

After reading some published articles on this topic my understanding became much better.

Fact one: It takes a little over 2,000 steps to walk 1 mile.

Fact 2: 10,000 steps would be 5 miles (Duh simple math)

Fact 3: The average U.S. adult walks about 5,900 steps (3 miles a day)

Fact 4: My first week tracking my steps was an APPAULING = 4,005 steps (averaged over 5 days)

  • Day one (Wednesday): 4,493
  • Day two (Thursday): 4110
  • Day three (Friday):3545
  • Day four (Saturday): 5622
  • Day five (Sunday) :2257

I’m just so embarrassed to even post those numbers. However I do want to save face by stating that being on your feet all day is NOT equivalent to walking (steps). On Saturday G and I hung the final pieces of drywall on the basement ceiling and on Sunday I plastered the entire thing by myself. On my feet ALL DAY.

Ok now that I’m done redeeming what little self respect I had for myself I’ll move onto week two thus far.

  • Day six (Monday): 11,579
  • Day seven (Tuesday): 11,119
  • Day eight (Wednesday): 9,926
  • Day nine (Thursday): 9,491

That’s an average of 10,528 steps a day compared to the 4,005 steps the week before.

Until I bought a fitness band I never really understood how inactive I had become. I knew I wasn’t working out but I figured I was doing “enough” to get by. I know fitness bands seem like a fad but whether it is or not by tracking my activeness (or lack there of) I realized I was below the nation average and I was really not benefiting myself in anyway heath wise. It was a huge wake up call to get moving.

This week I was determined to get as close to 10,000 steps a day as I could. This doesn’t mean only having to bust my butt on a treadmill every day because we all know those goals don’t last. My goal to reach 10,000 steps daily is built around small victories. Taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Running 3-4 days a week at the indoor track where I work. Going for a walk if I don’t go running.  Getting my butt out of my seat at work every hour. Walking in place during commercials on TV if I absolutely need those extra steps for the day.

I will honestly say that I feel really good this week. My energy levels are up. I actually feel good about myself. I don’t feel as though I’m FORCING myself to do too much.

It shows in my sleep too. By the time 9:30 hits I am fast asleep in bed. My Jawbone fitness band tracks sleep as well. In comparing week one to week two my the band tracks Deep Sleep and Light Sleep. Week one I slept lighter, moving and waking up more frequently from a deep sleep. Week two, I am now sleeping deeper for longer periods of time and my light sleep is lessening. I believe it, and I feel great!

Do you track your activity with a fitness monitor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you... Please comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...